[wzslider height=”400″ info=”true”]

Just 4-5 blocks east of the fountain is the statue called “Coming of the White Man.” It was given to the city by the heirs of David P. Thompson, an early Portland mayor and donor of the elk statue on SW Main Street between the Plaza Blocks. Completed in 1904, this bronze statue, sculpted by Herman A. MacNeil and cast by Bureau Brothers Foundry, features two Native Americans. Facing eastward, they look down upon the route that ox teams trudged bringing settlers to this part of the country.

WP_HoytArboretum